Rumor has it that there's a big football game coming up. That means you'll probably want to show up to the party with something other than nachos you bought at the convenience store. That's why our MVP Jessica Hord is here, and she's got an awesome recipe for "Super Sausage Sandwiches!"
— 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
— 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
— 1/4 cup and 2 tbsp. finely chopped basil
— 1 tsp. garlic paste
— 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
— 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
— 1/4 cup red wine (Jessica used Merlot)
— 4 hot dog buns
— 4 slices mozzarella cheese
— 8 slices provolone cheese
— 1/8 cup chopped red onion
1. First, make a butter compound by mashing together butter, parsley, 1/4 cup of basil, and garlic paste. Set aside.
2. Brown sausage. Add tomato sauce, stir. Add wine, stir. Let mixture simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
3. Remove sausage from heat, stir in 1 tbsp. of basil and salt to taste. Set aside.
4. Spread butter compound inside and on top of buns. Brown buns in the oven.
5. Once buns are browned and butter is melted, tuck one slice of mozzarella into each bun. Spoon sausage mixture into each bun on top of mozzarella. Top each sandwich with two slices of provolone cheese. Melt cheese to a slight bubble in the oven.
6. Top sandwiches with red onion and last tbsp. of basil. You're done!
Inspired by: Little Kitchen. Big World! [http://www.littlekitchenbigworld.com/garlic-butter-italian-sausage-sandwiches/]