Herbs are always better fresh, and they don't even require a green thumb to be grown at home! Jessica Hord put together an awesome tutorial on making herb gardens out of mason jars. The genius of Hord's mini-gardens? They don't just bring fresh herbs into the home, they also make beautiful decorations.
-- Mason jar(s)
-- Chalk paint (not chalkboard paint)
-- Plastic wrap
-- Multi-purpose painter's tape
-- Spray paint
-- Sealer/finisher spray (optional)
-- River rocks
-- Herb(s) of your choice
-- Potting soil
-- Mason jar handle accessory (make sure they'll fit your jar, different brands fit differently)
1. Remove lid (discard inner lid) and paint the outside of the jar with chalk paint.
2. Decide how big you'd like your bottom strip and use plastic wrap and painter's tape to mark off the rest of the jar. Make sure the bottom of your painter's tape is secure against the jar. You will not have a sharp line otherwise.
3. Spray the bottom of the jar and the outer lid with paint. Spray the entire jar with sealer/finisher if you'd prefer the jar not to distress any further.
4. Fill the bottom fourth of the jar with river rocks.
5. Put herb inside jar, adding more soil if you need it.
6. Secure handle around jar and finish with tag. You're done!
Inspired by: Sincerely, Sara D.