This is the one time when it's OK not to listen to your parents! New Castle, Delaware resident Angela Marie Borden had told 13-year-old son Damir Carter to go to bed on a Tuesday school night, but he stayed up any way to binge-watch Netflix. That's when Carter smelled smoke and saw a fire.
"If he was not awake, I don't know the outcome, because as soon as I found out it was about four minutes and my kitchen was in flames," Borden told WPVI.
Unfortunately, many of the family's pets were not able to make it out. Carter's father also happened to be at work at the time of the blaze. A GoFundMe page has been set up to help and also shows the extensive damage to the home.